9/25/2015

It's All In The Eyes


 
The eye is the lamp of the body; so if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.
~Matthew 6:22
 
 
Eyes wide open.  Eyes on fire.  Eyes in motion.  Lying eyes.  Crazy eyes.  Eyes are windows to the soul. The eye is the window to the universe. The eyes of an old soul.  Evil eye.  The all watching eye. Bedroom eyes.  The eye of the tiger.  Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.  The apple of my eye.
 
Language is filled with metaphors referring to eye contact. It's a major factor through which we communicate our wants and needs. It's said that by looking into the eyes of a person one can see their hidden emotions, attitudes and thoughts. We associate identity with the eyes from the day we are born. I was taught when I spoke to someone, I made eye contact. It not only showed good etiquette, it showed respect. My dad once told me not to date a particular boy because he couldn't look him in the eye when he shook his hand. It was another case he knew more than I did. He taught me a lot more useful knowledge about body language and I may have even been the twinkle of his eye, but that's irrelevant to this post. I truly believe the eyes is the space where your true identity dwells and allows you to see your inner light shining dim or bright.
 
I'm writing about eyes because I learn a lot about people in a non-verbal way. I have seen tremendous pain and sadness, I have seen liars and dishonesty. I have seen sincerity, hatred and evil. And I have seen love and forgiveness. One time or another, we all have picked up on one or more of these attributes. Which now brings me to why I am writing about eyes.
 
I love antiquing and I confess it's a bit of an addiction. It's not the kind of addiction where I have to hock something to purchase something else that reminds me of days gone by. I would say it's more of finding something that touches my heart or an object I think I absolutely can't live without. Every where you go, antique shops are popping up because people need or desire to touch something of their past. An object that reminds them of grandma, grandpa, mom or dad or just a reminder when life was less complicated.
 
During our recent vacation, we found a very unique shop in Florida with the most unusual things. It housed a large collection of 50's and 60's Hollywood art, framed Vargas prints and the largest selection of working console stereos I had ever seen. I was reminded of the wonderful earthy sounds my parent's fabulous Hi Fi, my mother's pride and joy. One record after another played on the shop owner's prized stereo while we browsed the delightful store. My husband goes his way, and I go mine. We search every nook and every shelf looking for a new found treasure. This day, both of us found something we couldn't live without.
 
I saw my husband gravitate towards a collection of knives then I went my way. Up and down the isles, in and out of rooms dedicated to a specific eras, I saw things I grew up with, toys, jewelry, vintage clothing, furniture, even a huge collection of unique ashtrays. I was awed picking up, touching and reminiscing around the shop when I saw it, a beautifully matted and framed photograph hanging waist high. It wasn't the picture or how it was framed that attracted me, nor was it the person. It was the eyes of the woman in the photograph. I sat on an ivory upholstered chair next to the picture, stared only at her eyes and began to cry. I have never done this before, at least not in public. I dabbed the running mascara and walked away. I meandered towards the back of the store a little embarrassed and saw my husband up front negotiating with the owner about a knife he was holding. After 43 years of living with this man, the look on his face told me he was having an emotional moment too.

The next thing I know, I'm standing in front of the photograph again having the same reaction. This time my guy is standing next to me wanting to know if I needed a hug. I turned away and said, “No. I want the picture.” He was miffed why I needed a picture of her. It's not my thing, nor has it ever been to have framed pictures of celebrities. When I was a teenage I had dozens of pictures of teen heartthrobs plastered on my bedroom walls. But never had that desire as an adult. 

“Can't you see the pain in her eyes?” I asked with tear filled eyes. He shrugged. He didn't understand. “Her eyes evoke something deep within me. I can't explain it,” I said. Without a single word, he took it off the wall and handed it to me. I took it to the counter to negotiate a lower price with the owner and once again I could barely maintain my composure. They didn't understand either. If I had a bad day, or I felt the world was crashing down on me, I could understand why I reacted the way I did when I saw this photograph, but it wasn't the case that day. It was her eyes and only her eyes.

My husband showed me his purchase and began to tell me why buying this ivory handled switchblade was important to him. His eyes softened and he choked on his words. “I had a knife identical to this. I gave it to Angel for good luck before he went to Nam.” He went on to tell me the story when his friend returned and thanked him for the good luck piece. I heard the story before long ago, but I listened with compassion once again. When his friend returned home, he apologized for losing the knife. He told him it saved his life when he had to use it on “Charlie.” It's been years since he's seen or heard from his friend, but the memory of the day he gave his blade to his buddy is still embedded in his mind and in his heart.
 
We left the shop of oddities and treasures with our heartfelt purchases. The price we paid was nominal for what we thought and felt was priceless that afternoon. The picture of Marilyn now hangs in our guest room. When I look at her beautiful face and into her eyes, it still evokes a soulful emotion. Like all art form, it's understood in the eye of the beholder. And I understood. The knife is polished, sharpened and placed in a handmade case. It makes my guy smile.
Marilyn Monroe
Photographed by Milton H. Green
Pensive Ballerina, 1954





 




4 comments:

  1. It's a little after 4 a.m. here in MI and I'm up and browsing FB ..can't sleep so might as well,huh? I'll get some more shut eye before I need to get to the Salon this morning @ 10 a.m...but right now I've finished reading this entry about "the eyes".
    What a lovely story about your visit to the antique store. Almost seems as though you were 'both' meant to stop and purchase items that brought you comfort and deep inner meaning. Glad to hear that those objects now hold special places in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! I am so addicted to the hunt!

      Delete
  2. Ok.....long time no write...lol hello my dear friend. You say here, "wide eyes, eyes of fire, eye in motion, lying eyes, crazy eyes, evil eye, the all watching eye, Bedroom eyes, the eye of the tiger, Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" and finally, "the Apple of the eye". Yep...that about gets them all, but not quite. As I sit here tonight I don't know if I want to write sad, happy or just "what ever" ... so here go's. To look into the eyes of a demon, that be the X~husband. Cold like ice and bluer then blue. I've looked into the mirror and saw big brown eyes swimming a sea of red, that would be the Jim Beam. I've poked myself in the eye, that would be the idiot mark. I've winked...that bought me a night on the town I didn't have to pay for. The squinting eye that say, are you frick'n nuts?! The smiling eyes...those are the ones that you can never quite be sure of. For a smile that comes from a unruly and sometimes mischievous eye is one that comes from an uncertain soul, a touch of gypsy, sand in the shoes thing....that feeling of wanting to be here there and no where, while needing to be everywhere. To me to be the Apple of someone's eyes is one of the most joyous feeling there is...one that is not totally appreciated as a child, but as an adult is something to be treasured, to be remembered, and to keep within that special corner of the heart forever. I will never forget my dad........I love you daddy, you are the eyes that watch over me...you are my "Angel Eyes"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some good ones! I think I could have made a post solely of eye references, but I had to stop before I got carried away! I love the reference to your dad, I wish I had known him better!

      Delete